Boscov’s department store was founded by Solomon Boscov in Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1911. A Jewish immigrant, Boscov began selling items door to door. Soon, he was able to open his own store in downtown Reading. The original name of the company was Economy Shoe Store and Dry Goods Annex. By 1968, the company had 4 stores and had annual revenue of $50 million.
Today, Boscov’s remains one of the last, family owned department stores with sales of more than $1 billion. The company has 44 stores in 7 states, with the largest store in New York. Despite filing for bankruptcy in 2008, the company reemerged in 2009 and began to re-open locations that had been closed due to the bankruptcy.
The company continues to expand, with plans to open a location in Sangertown Square, in Hartford, New York, in the former Sears building, in late 2016. A store opened in 2015 in a former J.C. Penny location in Connecticut, marked the company’s first New England location.