Edy’s Ice Cream was founded in 1928 in Oakland, California, by Joseph Edy and William Dreyer. Edy already had a successful candy business and William an ice cream company. The pair decided to join forces to make ice cream. The original name of the company was Edy’s Grand Ice Cream.
The pair decided to make innovative changes to ice cream, including the invention of Rocky Road, Candy Mint, and Toasted Almond, at a time when other manufactures only offered vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. In 1947, however, the pair had a falling out and parted ways. Edy continued to make ice cream under his own name, as did Dreyer.
Today, both companies are owned by Nestle. Edy’s Ice Cream had annual revenue in 2004 of 1.588 billion. Company headquarters are still located in Oakland, California.