Circle K was founded in El Paso, Texas, in 1951 when Fred Hervey purchased three “Kay’s” food stores. He simply put a circle around the letter “K” and left it at that. The company went through numerous acquisitions over the years and today belongs to Canadian firm Alimentation Couche-Tard.
Today, the company has more than 8,000 locations in 10 countries, many of them franchises. The company operates a chain of convenience stores with many offering gasoline, propane refueling, and bill paying services.
The company is still expanding, with the first location in Costa Rica opening in 2015, and stores in Canada and Scandanavia being rebranded with the Circle K logo.