WGL Holdings, Inc. was founded as Washington Gas Light Company, which received a charter from Congress in 1848.
The company grew by acquisition, notably Rosslyn Gas Company in 1917, Alexandria Gas Company in 1939, Shanendoah Gas Company 1959, and Frederick Gas Company in 1964.
In 2000 WGL Holdings, Inc. was established as a holding company for Washington Gas Light Company and its subsidiaries.
Today Washington Gas distributes natural gas to over 1 million customers in Washington, D.C. and adjacent areas of Virginia and Maryland. WGL Holdings also operates Washington Gas Energy Services, which sells natural gas and electricity to more than 350,000 retail customers.
WGL Holdings trades publicly on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol WGL, is a member of the S&P 400, is a member of the Russell 2000, is #849 in the Fortune 1000, has 1,444 employees, and had $2.85 billion in revenue in 2014.