Tomah Cash Mercantile Company, more commonly known today as the Tomah Cash Store, was founded by Herman Rose in 1900. It was the first large store to be built in Tomah. The name came from the store’s original design to pay cash for farmer’s crops, rather than exchanging it for merchandise.
The company continues to operate, but no longer offers cash for crops. This modern day department store is constantly changing its merchandise to keep up with people’s needs and technology. The store stopped selling fabric in the early 1990’s because women were not sewing their own clothing, but they added more electronics. The company also stopped selling groceries in the early 2000’s, but now offer higher end lingerie and clothing.
Tomah Cash Store is operated by the great grandson’s of Herman Rose; Mark and John Rose, along with their wives and other family members. Company headquarters have not moved in 117 years; still located on Superior Avenue in Tomah, Wisconsin.