Olin Corporation was founded in 1892 by Franklin W. Olin as the Equitable Powder Company. The company originally supplied explosives to local coal mines and quarries, and expanded into cartridge production in 1898.
Olin founded the Western Cartridge Company with his sons, John and Spencer, in order to diversify his business. Western acquired many businesses, including a paper manufacturer, a fiber wad facility, a cartridge brass manufacturing facility, and founded a brass mill.
In 1944 all of the Olin companies were unified under the new holding company Olin Industries, now known as Olin Corporation.
Today Olin Corporation manufactures chemicals used to make bleach, water purification, and swimming pool cleaners, pulp and paper processing agents, branded sporting ammunition, reloading components, military ammunition, and industrial cartridges.
The company trades publicly on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OLN, is a member of the S&P 400, is a member of the Russell 2000, is #832 in the Fortune 1000, has 3,900 employees, and had $2.24 billion in revenue in 2014.