Newtown Hardware House was built in 1869 at 106 State Street. The building next door at 108 State Street was a dry goods store. Both stores were purchased and combined into Newtown Hardware House in 1908.
While an arson fire destroyed the store in 1899, it was rebuilt in the same place it stands today. Newtown Hardware House has been in operation since 1869 and is the oldest store in Pennsylvania. The company is just as famous for its facade and history as it is for the hardware, paint, and other items it sells within the 5,000 square foot business.
Newtown Hardware House was sold to William Newell in 2012. The corporate office still stands at the same address on State Street, where it has for more than 130 years.