Blue Bunny Ice Cream was founded back in 1913 by Fred Wells in Sioux City, Iowa. The company began using one horse drawn cart and the milk from 15 cows to make a hand churned ice cream. The name came from a competition where the winning entry included a drawing of a blue rabbit.
Today, the company is the third largest ice cream maker in the US. In addition to ice cream, the company has expanded to sell fruit juice, milk, and yogurt products. Demand for their products has forced the company to build larger and larger processing plants and new corporate offices. The most recent expansion has been a 900,000 square foot processing plant, including a 12 story tall freezer.
Blue Bunny Ice Cream is still family owned and operated by Wells Enterprises. Company headquarters are now located in Le Mars, Iowa.