Marathon began in 1887 as the Ohio Oil Company, led by Henry M. Ernst. The company becomes the largest oil producer in Ohio.
In 1889, Standard Oil purchases the Ohio Oil Company.
In 1905, the company headquarters move from Lima, Ohio to Findlay, where they remain today.
In 1911, Ohio Oil again becomes a separate company when the Standard Oil monopoly is broken up.
In 1962, the company changes its name to the Marathon Oil Company.
In 1982, the company is purchased by the United States Steel Company.
In 1998, Marathon merges with Ashland Oil to form Marathon Ashland Petroleum LLC.
In 2002, Marathon is spun off as a separate company and is listed on the NYSE.
Today, Marathon Petroleum is one of the largest oil refiners and transporters in the US. They currently operate over 5100 Marathon gas stations.