Casey’s General Stores began in 1959 when Donald Lamberti leased a service station from his father in Des Moines, Iowa. After operating it for nine years, he purchased a service station in nearby Boone, Iowa and named it Casey’s after the friend that gave him the tip on the sale.
This location was a success, and Lamberti began to buy more stores in small towns of less than 5,000 people.
In 1970 Casey’s had 118 stores and opened its first warehouse.
In 1982 the company opened a distribution center, and in 1983 began publicly trading on the NASDAQ under the symbol: CASY
In 2010 the company expanded to Oklahoma, in 2011 to Arkansas, in 2012 in Kentucky, and to North Dakota in 2013.
Today Casey’s General Store is a chain of 1,700 convenience stores in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Arkansas. Casey’s has 14,500 employees and had $2.8 billion in revenue in 2012.