Aldi can trace its roots back to Karl and Theo Albrecht’s mother who opened a small store near Essen. The Albrecht brothers took over the business in 1946. By 1950, they had 13 stores.
In 1960, the brothers split the chain over an argument on whether they should sell cigarettes at the checkout. They owned 300 stores at the time.
In 1962, the name Aldi was adopted which is short for Albrecht-Diskount.
The company expanded internationally in the 1970s and 80s. The first US location was opened in 1976.
In 1993, the Albrecht brothers retired and donated most of their wealth to charitable foundations.
Today, Aldi is one of the largest discount supermarket chains in the world. There are currently over 9,200 locations worldwide. 1200 of those are US locations. The company operates as two divisions: Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud.
Aldi Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG Worldwide Headquarters
Essen, 45307 DEU