Gennaro and Carmela Sbarro opened an Italian grocery store named Salumeria in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York in 1956.
The Sbarro family opened more locations throughout New York City, and in 1970 the family opened their first restaurant.
From 1970 to 2007 Sbarro opened over 1,000 locations in 44 countries.
In 2007 Sbarro was acquired by MidOcean Partners, a private equity firm.
Today Sbarro restaurants are located in department stores, shopping malls, airports, service areas, cinemas, and college campuses.
The company operates about half of those locations, with the remaining half operated by franchisees.
Sbarro maintains a corporate office in Columbus, Ohio.