Purdy’s Chocolates was founded in 1907 after the death of Richard Purdy’s wife. He sold his barbershop business in Ontairo, and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to start over. He decided to try to make a business out of his lifelong love of chocolate and candy. Purdy sold his first chocolate candies on the street, near his home. He opened his first location in 1907.
Today, the company is one of the largest candy makers in Canada. The company has an online store that ships worldwide, as well as 33 stores in Alberta and British Columbia. Up until 1980, the company only made dark chocolates, but now offers a wide range of milk chocolates.
In the early part of the 1990’s, Purdy’s introduced their “Hedgehog” line of chocolate candies,which has become their biggest selling item. The company was family owned until a family dispute lead to the sale of the company to Eric Wilson and Charles Flavelle in 1963.