Burlington Coat Factory was founded in 1924 as a manufacturer of women’s outerwear.
The modern company was founded in 1972 by Monroe and Henrietta Milstein. The Milstein’s purchased a warehouse in Burlington, NJ and began wholesaling coats and jackets. The company gradually added additional clothing items and accessories.
In 1983, the company changes its name to the Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse Corporation and goes public.
In 1990, a national distribution center is constructed in Burlington, NJ.
By 2003, there are 335 locations.
In 2006, the company is acquired by Bain Capital and taken private.
Today, there are over 500 Burlington Coat Factory stores in 44 US states and Puerto Rico.