DTE Energy has its roots in the North American Edison Company, which was a member of the original Dow Jones Industrial Average in 1896.
In 1946 the company was broken up by the Securities and Exchange Commission following the Supreme Court decision in 1946.
Detroit Edison then became an independent company, which was traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) using the ticker symbol DTE.
In 1996 the new holding company DTE Energy was formed, which took over the trading ticker symbol DTE. The company changed the name of now-subsidiary Detroit Edison to DTE Electric at that time.
Today DTE Energy distributes electricity to 2.1 million customers through its main subsidiary, DTE Electric, distributes natural gas to 1.2 million customers through DTE Gas, has power plants that generate 11,080 MW, and also offers energy marketing and trading, energy management services, and independent and on-site power generation.
DTE continues to trade publicly on the NYSE under the symbol DTE, is a member of the S&P 500, is #285 in the Fortune 500, has 9,900 employees, and had $11.55 billion in revenue in 2013.