Tractor Supply Company, or TSC for short, began in 1938 as a mail order tractor parts business founded by Charles E. Schmidt, Sr. In 1939, the first retail store opened in Minot, North Dakota.
In 1958, the company went public and growth accelerated.
In 1966, the company opens stores in Ontario, Canada.
In 1969, the company is purchased by National Industries. Then they are acquired by Fuqua Industries in 1978.
In 1987, all Canadian stores are sold to Murray Cummins.
Today, TSC has over 1800 stores in 49 US states. Annual revenue in 2018 was $7.911 billion.
The Tractor Supply corporate office is located in Brentwood, Tennessee.