Harps Food Stores was founded in 1930 by brothers Harvard and Floyd Harp in Springdale, Arkansas. The company is best known for providing a wide variety of services beyond simply groceries. Some locations offer fueling stations, while others sell sporting goods.
The company has 84 locations in 4 states, with the majority of locations in Arkansas. The company had annual revenue in 2015 of $808 million and employs more than 4,300 persons.
Harps Food Stores became employee owned in 2001 after buying company shares from the Harp family. Stores are supplied by Kansas based Associated Wholesale Grocers. The company has maintained a “growth through acquisition” policy that saw them expand, even during the 2008 financial crunch and in 2020 during the coronavirus crisis.
In March 2020, the company acquired 20 Town and Country Grocery locations.