The TJX Companies was founded in 1956 by Stanley Feldberg as Zayre Corp. He was the first president of the company, serving until 1978.
Zayre Corp opened its first T.J. Maxx branch in 1976 and its first BJ’s Wholesale Club in 1984.
In 1988 Zayre sold its nameplate to rival Ames and renaming itself The TJX Companies, Inc.
In 1990 TJX acquired Winners’ five stores in Canada.
In 1992 TJX launched HomeGoods in the United States.
TJX expanded beyond North America when it founded T.K. Maxx in the United Kingdom in 1994.
TJX acquired Marshall’s in 1995, which doubled the size of the company.
The company launched a sixth brand, A.J. Wright, in 1998 and a seventh, HomeSense, in 2001.
Today The TJX Companies is the largest off-price department store chain for apparel and home fashion in the United States. The company has over 150,000 employees worldwide and had $21.9 billion in revenue in 2010.