Jewel-Osco can trace its roots back to 1899, in Chicago, Illinois, when Frank Skiff began selling coffee and tea door to door. Skiff made his brother in law, Frank Ross, his partner and they renamed the company Jewel Tea Company. Today, Jewel-Osco operates a chain of supermarkets and pharmacies.
The company is now a subsidiary of Albertson’s. The company has changed names several times over the years; Skaggs, Alpha-Beta, and others, until they settled on today’s name of Jewel-Osco. The company has more than 184 locations in Indiana, Illionois, and Iowa.
Jewel-Osco is known for trying many different types of concepts or ideas. They are the first grocery store to begin using generic or store name products to compete with brand names. Company headquarters are located in Itasca, Illinois.