Energen was founded in 1979 in Birmingham, Alabama. The company operates a gas and oil exploration company. Originally called Alabama Gas Corporation, the company is a spin off from Southern Natural Gas.
In 2015, the company had 355 million barrels of oil in reserve, 61 % of which is oil, the other 39% natural gas. About 95% of these reserves are in the Permian Basin. Production in 2015 was 24,000 barrels of oil each day. An affiliate for the company, Plains All American Pipeline, accounted for 33% of the company’s revenue in 2015.
Energen had annual revenue in 2015 of $878 million and employed 470 persons full time. The company is publicly traded on the NYSE under the ticker symbol:EGN.