Tervis was founded in 1946 when Frank Cotter and G. Howlett Davis created the world’s first insulated tumbler. The Detroit engineers used air as the insulator between two walls. The company name is a result of combining the founders last names: CotTER and DaVIS.
In the 1950s, the Davis family purchased the rights to the products.
In 1967, the Tervis Tumbler Company was incorporated and manufacturing was moved to Venice, Florida where the company headquarters resides today.
The company was then purchased by the Donelly family, who still own the private company today.
Today, all Tervis products are made in the USA by their 700 employees in Florida.