Phillips 66 is a holding company that produces natural gas liquids and petrochemicals.
The company was founded in 1917 as Phillips Petroleum Company by L.E. Phillips and Frank Phillips of Oklahoma.
The first Phillips 66 gas station opened in Wichita, Kansas in 1927.
For the next 40 years, Phillips 66 expanded to have gas stations throughout the United States as well as in Canada.
In 1967 the company became only the second oil company, after Texaco, to sell and market gasoline in all 50 states.
In 2002 Phillips 66 merged with Conoco to form the new company ConocoPhillips.
In 2012 Phillips 66 was spun off from ConocoPhillips. The company began trading on the New York Stock exchange on May 1, 2012.
Today Phillips 66 owns 15 refineries in five countries with a net crude capacity of 2.2 million barrels per day. It also owns 50% of DCP Midstrem, LLC, natural gas company, and a 50% stake in Chevron Phillips Chemical Co.
Phillips 66 is ranked #4 in the Fortune 500, is a member of the S&P 500, has 13,500 employees, and had $182.92 billion in revenue in 2012.