Kohl’s was originally founded as a supermarket in 1946 by Maxwell Kohl. In 1962, he opened his first Kohl’s department store in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
In 1972, BATUS Inc. purchased a controlling share of Kohl’s.
In 1979, the Kohl family stopped managing the company.
In 1983, the grocery stores were sold to A&P. All the stores were subsequently closed in 2003.
In 1986, a group of investors, which included upper management, purchased the chain.
In 1992, the company went public. In 1997, the company entered the Mid-Atlantic markets and expansion continued throughout the 2000’s.
The company currently operates over 1,000 stores in 49 states (non in Hawaii). The Kohl’s corporate office is located in Menomonee Falls, WI.