Gump’s of San Francisco traces its roots back to 1861, when the Gump brothers, Solomon and Gustav, opened a mirror and frame shop. The company later added gilded frames and artwork, designed for those who hit it big during the California Gold Rush. The original store was destroyed by the earthquake in 1906, but the sale of a single painting allowed the company to rebuild and restock.
Today, Gump’s belongs to an investment group, Gump’s Holdings, to whom it was sold in 2005. The company continues to sell upscale furniture, home decor, jewelry, gifts, and cultured freshwater pearls. The only thing not for sale in the store is a giant gilded wooden Buddah, from the Quing Dynasty, carved sometime in the early 19th century.
In addition to home decor items, the company also sells business furnishings. There are still paper catalogs, as well as an extensive eCommerce site.