Cavender’s was founded in 1958 by James R. Cavender in Pittsburg, Texas. Originally named Cavender & Smith’s, Cavender bought out his partner the following year and changed the name to simply Cavender’s.
Today, the company is named Cavender’s Western Outfitters but is more commonly referred to as just Cavender’s. Some locations sell only boots and footwear. Those locations are called Cavender’s Boot City. The company specializes in western wear including apparel, footwear, boots, cowboy hats, belt buckles, wallets, women’s handbags, jewelry, work boots, jeans, and belts for men, women, and children.
Cavender’s has more than 70 stores in 8 states including Louisiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, Arkansas, New Mexico, Kansas and Missouri. Cavender’s has 48 stores in the state of Texas.