Bunge Limited was founded in 1818 as Bunge y Born in Amsterdam. In 1884 they expanded to Argentina, in 1905 to Brazil, and later to the U.S.
The company built its first major grain handling facility in Minnesota in 1935, thus becoming an originator of grain in North America. In 1946 the company acquired grain elevators in the Midwest and in 1961 opened an export grain-handling elevator in Louisiana that connected its domestic grain operations to world markets.
During the 1970s and 1980s Bunge grew its product and operational diversity by acquiring and building grain origination, soy processing, and food products businesses throughout North and South America.
Bunge y Born officially changed its name in 1994 to Bunge International when the company incorporated in the Bahamas.
Up until 2001 Bunge was a privately held company that was owned by 180 shareholders, with the Bunge family having a controlling interest.
In 2001 when Bunge went public, the company had three main businesses: agribusiness, fertilizer, and food products.
Today Bunge Limited has worldwide distribution, 32,000 employees at 400 facilities in 40 countries, and had revenue of $58.74 billion in 2011.