Brigham’s Ice Cream was founded in 1914 by Edward Brigham in Massachusetts. At one time, the original ice cream parlor, located in Newton Highlands, was so popular that it became overrun with customers on the weekends. The police were often called to help control the crowds that were fighting to get inside.
The company has continued to grow and expand over the years. In 1993, Brigham’s Ice Cream purchased Elans Frozen Yogurt, which added to its already appealing menu. At its peak, the company had 100 locations. Brigham’s Ice Cream was purchased by HP Hood LLC. Approximately 21 locations were sold to New England Food Service, LLC. HP Hood owns the rights to the name and ice cream recipes. HP Hood now sells Brigham’s Ice Cream via supermarkets and specialty stores.
Brigham’s Ice Cream maintains a corporate office in Arlington, Massachusetts.