Bergdorf Goodman was founded in 1899 when a French tailor, Herman Bergdorf, opened a shop in Manhattan, New York. Bergdorf’s apprentice, Edwin Goodman, earned enough money to buy an interest in the business. The company renamed itself Bergdorf Goodman in 1901. The company moved to its present address on 5th Avenue and 58th Street in 1928.
Today, Bergdorf Goodman is one of the most prestigious and popular high end clothing and accessory store in America. The company has two stores, directly across the street from one another. The original store offers women’s designer clothing, jewelry, shoes,and childrens clothing. The newer store, located on the east side of 5th Avenue, features men’s clothing, shoes, and accessories.
Bergdorf Goodman is now a subsidairy of Neiman Marcus, which is owned by the private equity firms Warburg Pincus and TPG Capital. The Neiman Marcus Group had $5.1 billion in revenue in 2015.